CBS 2 Chicago WBBM-TV | cbs2chicago.com
Roskam Announces Bid To Replace Hyde
May 16, 2005 12:40 pm US/Central
Conservative state Sen. Peter Roskam jumped into the race to replace retiring U.S. Rep. Henry Hyde in Congress Monday, announcing that he will seek the Republican nomination.
As a lawmaker, Roskam has mingled conservative views with strong diplomatic skills to emerge as one of the Legislature's key voices on the right.
He has also been a frequent critic of Gov. Rod Blagojevich, questioning the Democrat's plan to mortgage the state's Chicago headquarters and demanding public information about a major pharmaceutical contract.
Roskam could face serious challenges for Hyde's seat in Chicago's northwest suburbs.
Sen. Carole Pankau, a moderate Republican from Roselle, is a potential rival. In the general election, Democrat Christine Cegelis, who got 44 percent of the vote against Hyde in 2004, is likely to run again.
Hyde has represented the area since 1974, pushing for restrictions on government funding of abortion and managing the impeachment case against President Clinton in 1998.
He announced on his 81st birthday last month that he would retire when his term ends in 2006, saying physical limitations from back surgery two years ago have made it difficult to keep up the pace of a congressman.
Roskam, 44, once worked in Hyde's congressional office. He was also an aide to U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas, now the embattled House majority leader.
Roskam lives in Wheaton and is married with four children. He served in the Illinois House from 1993 to 1999 and has been in the state Senate since 2000.
© 2005 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- ► 2006 (17)
- Irvin might run for Illinois Senate seat
- DeLay could factor in race for Hyde seat
- Insiders like Roskam's chances of grabbing seat
- U. of C. Hospitals sued for error that resulted in...
- Roskam: the right successor to Hyde
- Roskam Announces Bid To Replace Hyde
- Roskam to vie for Hyde seat
- Schwarzenegger flexes for top GOP donors here
- Contender for Hyde seat brags he's raised $150K
- PERSONALS: WHO'S WHO & WHAT'S UP
- Senate sends gun-show bill giving gun lobby anothe...
- Obama voices 'Dreams,' hobnobs with legends
- Senate approves 2-sided gun bill
- Senate rejects $1.5B road plan
- Teen motorists mock plan to ban cell phone use
- Lawmakers approve deal to fight malpractice woes
- ▼ May (16)